Essential Duities and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Others may be assigned.
Provides oversight or direct responsibility for managing the following operational aspects of the Health Information Management department:
Release of Information
Medical Transcription Services
Vital Record Completion
HIM Computer Systems
Prepping, Scanning, Indexing Medical Record Documentation
Manages staff and systems in defined areas to achieve appropriate staffing, resource utilization and cost containment objectives of the organization. Evaluates and prepares as indicated daily, weekly and monthly reports indicating production levels and utilization of employee time and progress toward meeting established goals.
Supervises, coaches and evaluates subordinates in daily activities and long-range goals. Provides the Record Maintenance Team Leader and HIM Technical Support Coordinator with the leadership, management direction, mentoring and support to ensure daily operational goals are met while ensuring compliance with regulatory compliance. Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluating and termination.
Works collaboratively with Ethics and Compliance and Patient Relations departments to investigate, take action on and resolve all complaints related to release of protected health information.
Establishes and administers a process for overseeing patient rights to inspect, amend, and restrict access to protected health information (PHI). Works collaboratively with applicable medical staff and organizational departments to review, respond to and resolve patient requests to amend PHI.
Coordinates approval of new forms through the Forms Committee and Medical Executive Committee approval process working with various hospital departments and forms vendor.
Works collaboratively with medical staff, departmental team members, and systems in achieving timely chart completion rates that meet Joint Commission, regulatory and billing requirements.
Develops and maintains policies and procedures applicable to scope of services supervised. Reviews and updates job descriptions as necessary to delineate current requirements.
Gives input regarding section needs in preparation of annual budget and monitors expenditures for budge compliance.
Performs other duties as jointly defined with director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong managerial, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Requires an ability to initiate action, creatively solve problems, meet goals, and produce results through effective supervision of employees
- Strong analytical skills
- Effective problem solving skills with ability to deal with physicians, employees, and other hospital staff with tact and diplomacy
- Knowledge of HIPAA and privacy regulations
- Knowledge of healthcare laws, regulations and standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer knowledge of MS Office.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Include minimum education, technical training, and/or experience preferred to perform the job.
- Degree or Certification in Health Information Technology or Administration is highly desirable.
- 5 years of supervisory or management experience in an acute care facility or directly related field.